Mission & vision
Our approach at CMF seeks to cultivate Christian faith in a variety of “spaces” for holistic ministry, where we are learning to reach up to God, in to our church, and out to the world -- Up-In-Out.
In Matthew 28:19, Jesus said: “Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son & Holy Spirit.” We desire that people grow as disciples in three primary spaces within the church. These spaces are what we call the intimate space (2-3 people), the personal space (6-12 people), and the public space (20+ people).
Our church services are a public space for participating and experiencing corporate worship and preaching from the Scriptures. A few personal space opportunities would be Sunday School, Bible studies, and/or joining a small group near you. And you can invest in an intimate space by being a part of a Life Transformation Group---a same gender group of 3-4 people meant for discipleship and accountability.
CMF doesn't currently have a mission or vision statement. However, we are working toward one that best captures the purpose and plan that God has for us as a local expression of Christ in our area.
Pastor David Flowers presented some vision and direction for CMF in the 2014 sermon, The Invitation & Challenge of Jesus. The original mission of the church in 1982 was to reach the unchurched.
The following are current goals developed by our elders that serve to guide us this year.
2016-2017 Goals for Christiansburg Mennonite Fellowship
The general church mission for CMF in 2016-2017 is to: build on what we're doing.
Cultivate a deeper understanding of the mission and purpose of Christ's church.
- Formalize mission and vision statements for clear direction as a missional church.
- Work at bringing clarity in our Anabaptist-Mennonite beliefs and distinctives.
- Create governance structures and by-laws that help to streamline ministry.
Cultivate deeper relationships with one another and with Christ.
- Firm up covenant membership by keeping a record of members and attendance.
- Enrich our small groups and create more Life Transformation Groups (LTGs).
- Strengthen our children and student ministry (youth & college).
Establish a greater community presence.
- Equip members to share their faith and articulate their beliefs with others.
- Install a permanent sign on Farmview Rd. with name, service times, & upcoming events.
- Form church outreach events, utilize church ads, work community events, etc.